Friday, July 29, 2011

Sandwich Wars!

My mother and my father make two very different sandwiches. My mother folds the cold cut meat nicely into even, symmetrical folds. The cheese is the exact size of the bread. The tomato is cleanly sliced through. Mayonnaise thinly spread across the bread before she cuts in a perfect diagonal across the sandwich. You can easily take a bite of my mother's sandwich without that annoying hassle of all the fillings squeeze out the other end.

My father, on the other hand, does not make perfectly, neat packages. My father slaps all that shit on there! Hope you like mayonnaise if you're eating my father's sandwich because there is gops of it. In fact, I think he uses a spoon to get it out of the jar! Tomatoes are sliced willy-nilly (yes, willy nilly, you know what it means!). Crap's falling out the sides. And then you try to eat it? Let's just say that you're going to need plenty of napkins when you eat one of my father's sandwiches!

These warring sandwiches are nice representations of my parents' personalities in some ways! My mother is definitely orderly and clean while my father is a little scattered, the one slappin' shit together at the last minute. :)

Though I have fond childhhod memories of my ever-so neatly packaged bologna and pickle sandwiches (don't knock' em til you've tried them), I have to say I am more of a "slappin' shit together" kind of sandwich maker. Sorry, Mom.

I recently made sandwiches for a road trip Jerry and I took. I generally don't have a problem eating out. Lord knows I do it way too much. But if there are things I can make at home, I prefer to do that sometimes. Especially for something like sandwiches, where I may only have the option of white bread or full fat mayonnaise (and I heart mayonnaise). It is easier for me to control what's going on my sandwich as well as controlling my blood sugar.

For this trip, I made two sandwich variations. One is Jerry's and contains turkey because he is a growing boy. The other was for me and contains no meat. These sandwiches were inspired by my local Whole Foods, which is really the reason I'm sharing "just" a sandwich recipe with you.


Jerry's MANwich (Turkey Avocado with Arugula)


Ingredients
1 fresh multi-grain roll
3 - 4 slices low salt turkey breast
1/2 avocado, sliced
1 - 2 slices swiss cheese
1 giant handful argula
1 - 2 tbsps mayo
salt and pepper

Method
1. Dig out the innards of your roll. I suggest this just because there are a lot of things going on this sandwich and it is easier to contain if there are "pockets" in your bread.
2. Layer on all of your ingredients, starting with your turkey, avocado, cheese, and arugula. By being mindful of your layering, you'll get less slippage.
3. Spread mayo and salt & pepper your sandwich. This adds a nice kick and flavor to it!




Bonnie's Veggiewich (Avocado-Parmesan with Arugula)

Ingredients
1 fresh whole wheat roll
1/2 avocado, sliced
2 tbsps grated parmesan cheese
1 giant handful argula
1 - 2 tbsps mayo
salt and pepper

Method
1. Dig out the innards of your roll.
2. Layer on all of your ingredients, starting with avocado, cheese, and arugula.
3. Spread mayo and salt & pepper your sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment