Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Morbid Thoughts about Broccoli!

I like to prepare my food for the week on Sundays and Mondays. I usually make a few different things that I can take for lunch or grab for a quick dinner. You may think it's a dorky thing to do, but that's just because you're jealous! At least that's what my mom tells me (thanks mom!).

The other day I was preparing the following recipe, whose main ingredient is broccoli. Prior to its cooking, I had been up at my parents, talking with my dad...well, really, I was listening to my dad talk about nutrition. He said that the stem of the broccoli has more cancer fighting properties then the florets. Usually, I throw away the broccoli stems, but this time I thought "Well, it would suck to have cancer AND diabetes, might as well throw in the stems!"

Totally morbid. A little depressing. But the stems were delicious! I can feel their cancer-fighting power coursing through my little veins even as we speak (b/c you and I are in a conversation now, much like how you would be with my dad).

Also, a note about my pictures. They're terrible. I know. They definitely don't make you want to eat what I'm eating. But just remember, I'm using my phone's camera to take all these pictures. So, it's actually not too terrible, right?

Roasted Broccoli with Tahini Sauce and Bulgur



Roasted Broccoli
1 1/2 pounds broccoli
1 tbsp olive oil
salt
pepper

Method
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Break broccoli into florets. Toss with olive oil and place on baking sheet.
3. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip. Bake for another 5 minutes until florets are browned. Serve with tahini sauce.


Tahini Sauce
1 tsp olive oil
1 - 2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tbsp tahini
1/3 cup water
1 quarter lemon

Method
1. Heat chopped garlic cloves in olive oil until fragrant.
2. Add 2 tbsps of tahini with 1/3 cup of water. Stir until think again.
3. Add squeeze of lemon. Done!

Bulgur
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 - 2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup bulgur
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup water

Method
1. Heat olive oil in pot. Add chopped onion and garlic to pot. Saute.
2. Add bulgur to pot. Toast lightly.
3. Add veggie broth and water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until bulgur is tender.
4. Serve broccoli over bulgur

No comments:

Post a Comment