Sunday, February 6, 2011

That's Just Crazy Talking....

Call me paranoid, but every once in a while, I think my blood glucose monitor is lying to me. And I don't mean just once. I mean over and over again, like any good liar does!

You're assuming I think this way when there's been a period of high numbers. Like I'm in such deep denial that I can't understand how that double-chocolate cheesecake could have possibly given me a 310. Well, you'd be wrong, my friend!!! I usually think that way during a period of good numbers. Actually, a period of good numbers AND some ketoacidosis symptom.

Just for those of you that don't know, ketoacidosis is when your body is not able to use glucose (sugar) as a source of fuel, primarily because your pancreas is a lazy fuck and won't do its god damn job to produce insulin (what? It's not like I'm bitter!). Your body begins to use body fat instead. Which actually sounds awesome, right? Until you're thirsty to all hell, exhausted from not having anything to fuel your body, and your vital organs become toxic and you fall into a coma. Then....not so awesome. I've been there, stopping short of the whole toxic organ thing.

There are times when I'll be really, really thirsty and I'll assume it's because I have high blood sugar. I'll check my blood sugar, just to confirm my theory and be greeted with a 125. Or I'll feel particularly thin one day and assume it's because my body is starting to eat itself again, only to have a 103.

So, of course, rather then assume that I am crazy....I am going to assume that my blood glucose monitor is a liar.

No comments:

Post a Comment