Thursday, February 17, 2011

Brown Paper Lunch Bags

Ever wonder what else you can do with brown paper lunch bags besides puppets and, well, lunch bags? How about using them to make popcorn? Yes, popcorn!

I love popcorn. My least favorite part of (microwave) popcorn is reaching my hand into that gross, chemical-filled bag. You know what I mean. When you reach into the bag, your hand scraps against the top of it and you end up with weird, neon-colored "butter" all over it. Ick.

About a year ago, I started making my own microwave popcorn. Initially, I started making popcorn this way so I could control what goes in it. I could control the salt and eliminate whatever other crap additives are usually in microwave popcorn. Plus, I can flavor it up how ever I want to (like with hot smoked paprika or Italian seasonings). 

But now, on top of feeling superior about my healthier, natural popcorn, I have also realized that it has a positive impact on my blood sugar! 2 1/2 cups of my popcorn equals 15gs of carbs whereas 1 cup of regular "all-natural" microwave popcorn equals 18g of carbs!

Brown Paper Bag Popcorn

Ingredients
1/4 cup of popcorn kernels
1 tablespoon oil (olive oil, canola oil, all those flavored olive oils that you don't know what to do with, add it to your popcorn!)
Seasonings of your choice (salt, pepper, oregano, basil, hot smoked paprika, Parmesan cheese, etc.)
1 brown paper lunch bag
staples or tape

Method
1. Mix popcorn kernels and oil in cup.
2. Put popcorn-oil mix in brown paper bag.
3. Fold the paper bag with two 1/2 inch folds and then staple or tape bag shut. Yes, you can use the staples in the microwave without it exploding, but if you don't believe, you can use tape instead. 
4. Place in your microwave on predetermined popcorn setting. If you're microwave doesn't have one, then put it in for 2 1/2 minutes and wait until the popping slows to about 1 pop every few seconds. Don't wait too long or it will burn. 
5. Remove from bag to bowl and season with spices of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment