The last few weeks have been INSANE! This last one especially. My very busy work week was followed by a very busy weekend, which included lots of booze, a Christmas Sing-a-Long, karaoking, and dressing up like Santa to meander around Manhattan! While this weekend provided hours of endless entertainment, it also wore me down a bit.
My plan for this week (and the weekend) is to take it easy, get back on a regular sleeping/eating/exercising schedule, and avoid anything related to tequila! I figured a good way to start the week was to make myself a good, comforting meal that would carry me through to Friday.
|I know. This picture is awful. |
But I figured it's better then having no picture at all!
For chickpea mixture:
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove
3 carrots, diced
3 celery ribs, diced
1 handful mushrooms, sliced
1 ½ c chickpeas
1 c peas
1 c vegetarian gravy (see below)
1 c veggie broth
salt and pepper
1 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
½ c milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sauté onions through mushrooms in an oven-proof skillet over medium heat until onions are translucent and other veggies are starting to soften.
- While the veggies cook, mix the biscuit ingredients together. This mixture is rather thick.
- Add chickpeas and peas. Sauté a few minutes longer. Salt and pepper.
- Add gravy and broth to vegetable mixture, coating the vegetables well.
- Drop biscuit mixture into ¼ c balls onto vegetable mixture.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or when biscuits look fully cooked.
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 cup vegetable broth
1/3 cup organic milk
salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onion, thyme, and garlic over medium heat until translucent.
- Remove from heat and add flour, yeast, and soy sauce.
- Return to heat and slowly whisk in vegetable broth, trying to breakdown any clumps.
- Once ingredients are incorporated and beginning to thicken, add milk, salt and pepper. Whisk together.