I am not sure why, but I have always been interested in doing a detox. There is something about cleaning out my colon in a controlled situation that is appealing! I don’t mind the idea of spending a few days on the crapper. I think I would feel…lighter (or sore). For at least two years, I had a detox from goop.com by Gwyneth Paltrow on my fridge, just waiting for me to get my shit together - har, har, no pun intended.
While the commitment to detox is intense, figuring out how to do it while being a diabetic is even more of a challenge! Many of the detox I have seen involve the consumption of juice to help the body get its nutrients. Since becoming diabetic, I have been told that juice should only be used to treat hypoglecmia. While I am sure I can drink juice whenever I want to, I’m not sure a whole week of just juice would fare well with my busted pancreas.
However, after back to back weekends of overindulging, resulting in several food babies, I am in need of something to cleanse this colon (besides beer!). I decide to use some of my recent inspiration of raw food to help aid in this process.
I have seen a lot of recipes calling for “raw pasta.” (It’s zucchini people! Let’s call a spade a spade, shall we?) Whatever, I’ll try to go along with it. The result….a yummy, light salad.
Detox "Pasta" Salad
1 large zucchini
1 large carrot, shredded
6 – 7 cremini mushrooms, sliced
4 -5 radishes, sliced (not present in picture, but would be damn good!)
¼ c. peanuts
small handful of cilantro, chopped
1 inch piece of ginger
¼ c. rice wine vinegar
¼ c. canola oil
½ to 1 tsp brown rice syrup or other natural sweetener (or use to taste)
1 tsp lemon juice
a shake or two of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
- Wash all your veggies. It sort of defeats the purpose of detoxing if all your vegetables are covered in pesticides.
- Use a good vegetable peeler to peel long, thin slices from the zucchini.
- Put all veggies together in a bowl.
- Grate ginger into a bowl of mini food processor. If using a food processor, add all the other dressing ingredients (even the oil). Turn on and let emulsify (30 to 60 seconds). If doing by hand, add the ingredients to the bowl with the exception of the oil. Slowly whisk oil in to emulsify.
- Dress salad and feel that colon cleanse coming on!