Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner!

As a kid, I knew when my dad had other dinner plans when my mom made pancakes and sausage for dinner. No offense to my father, but I loved the days when he wasn't home so we could have omelets at 6pm!

Now, on really busy (or lazy) days, I love to eat breakfast for dinner. I actually make eggs for dinner at least two or three times a week. Top anything with a poached egg and I'll eat it! Thankfully, eggs are also good for diabetics. Why? Because one extra large egg is 0.5 grams of carbs and has 7.3 grams of protein! Thank goodness for that because diabetes would definitely be on my shit list if I couldn't eat eggs!

Take my cake! Take my pasta! But leave my eggs! And if you could give me back those other things, that would be great too. Thanks.

Poached Eggs with Sweet Potato-Soy Chorizo Hash

 
Ingredients
2 eggs
1 garlic clove
1/2 medium onion
1/2 medium green pepper
1 peeled, diced sweet potato
1/2 package of Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo*
1 whole wheat english muffin
salt
pepper
olive oil
white wine vinegar

Method
1. Dice onion. Chop garlic into small pieces. Put onions and garlic into pan with olive oil over medium-high heat. Begin to sweat the onions.
2. Chop peppers into 1/4 inch dice. Add to pan. Continue to cook. 
3. Dice sweet potato into 1/4 inch cubes. Add to pan.
4. Add TJ's soy chorizo to pan. Saute all together. Cover and cook until sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
5. Boil pot of water with 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar. This will help keep the egg whites together when poaching. 
6. Swirl water in the pot with the handle of a wooden spoon, creating a bit of a whirlpool in the pot. With the whirlpool swirling, crack an egg into the center. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until egg whites coagulate and turn white. Repeat with second egg. 
7. Toast english muffin. Place toasted english muffin on a plate, top with sweet potato hash and poached eggs.

* Trader Joe's soy chorizo is another ingredient (notice the whole wheat english muffins) that I'm mildly obsessed with. It has great flavor. If you're not a soy person, I suppose you can use black beans and smoked paprika or actual chorizo.

No comments:

Post a Comment