Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Detox Attempts

I've been wanting to do a food detox for quite some time. I have even picked out that doesn't include lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper. Despite my obsessive reviewing of this detox and the weekly commitment of "this will be the week to start," I have yet to successfully get this detox off the ground.

Whether it's just been a chaotic schedule, too many social gatherings, or just plain laziness, it hasn't happened.

Last week I thought, "This week is the week!" I had even prepared one of the main dishes for Week 1 of the detox, Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew. I was all excited to drink smoothies for breakfast and only veggies for the rest of my meal. Yes, it was going to happen!

Until it didn't. Wompwomp

I did manage to use up most of my red lentils (which I never thought would happen) and get a week's worth of healthy lunch out of the deal.

But I'm telling you. It will happen. This detox will happen.

Next week.

Maybe.
Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew

by Bonnie Graham
Keywords: soup/stew sweet potato red lentils
Ingredients (4 servings)
  • 2 tbsp coconut or olive oil
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 diced large onion
  • 4 minced cloves garlic
  • 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
  • 2 peeled and diced sweet potatoes
  • 1 diced red bell pepper
  • 1 1/2 c rinsed red lentils
  • 6 c broth
  • Chopped fresh cilantro
  • Salt and pepper
Instructions
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook cumin, turmeric and curry powder until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Add onion with a few pinches salt, and cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 minutes.
3. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes.
4. Add sweet potatoes and bell pepper and cook 6 -7 minute.
5. Add lentils and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper. Top with cilantro before serving.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment