Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My New Favorite Grain

Yeah, that's right. My new favorite grain. Is it dorky to have a favorite grain?

Well, I do. It is now farro, beating out barley in the competition.

I have been searching for farro FOR MONTHS! Seriously. No place has it. And, yes, I checked Whole Foods. I checked Trader Joe's. And Trade Fair. I left no bulk market unturned looking for this grain! Randomly, I found it in a small organic market in Hoboken! And now I'm hooked! It's nutty and chewy. Really good.

It's pretty simple to make too. Just throw it into a pot and boil for 20 to 30 minutes. I made a whole batch to eat throughout the week. This comes in handy when I walk into my apartment, ravenous, and start cooking dinner before I even take my jacket off!

Tuna Puttanesca with Farro

Ingredients
Yes, there is tuna on that plate!

1 ahi tuna filet
1/2 chopped onion
1 - 2 chopped garlic cloves

15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 tsp anchovy paste (optional)
1/2 - 1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 - 1 tsp dried oregano
1 - 2 tbsp capers
2 tbsp chopped olives
salt and pepper
1 cup farro

Method

1. Place 1 cup farro over medium heat with 2.5 cups of water and salt to taste. Once farro begins to boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes. Some residual water may be in the pot.
2. Saute onions until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (careful not to burn).
3. Add red pepper, oregano, anchovy paste, and tomatoes to pan and bring to a simmer.
4. Place tuna in the tomato sauce, cooking on each side no more then 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Remove tuna from sauce and add capers & olives. Cook for a minute to heat through.

I like to mix the farro in with the sauce, but do what you like.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it IS dorky to have a favorite grain......mine is kamut, or is that spelt?

    ReplyDelete