Wednesday, December 22, 2010

First Recipe: Kale Chips

It was a difficult decision, figuring out which recipe should be the first recipe of my blog! I turned it over in my head again and again...and realized it wasn't that big of a decision. Just post something already!

For the most part, I’m not much of a potato chip eater. But it’s amazing how once you’re not able to eat something, you really, really want it! Then, suddenly, potato chips become your absolute favorite food! In fact, they are the best thing that you've ever eaten! You can’t live another day without having another salty, yummy chip!

Ok....first, I know I can eat potato chips if I would really like them. Second, I don’t really feel that passionately about potato chips. I just like the drama of it all and needed a snazzy intro to what some may consider an uneventful recipe. Third, regardless of whether I can have potato chips or not, kale chips are a tastier, healthier, carb-friendly alternative to the tater chip. Lays’ Original potato chips are 15g of carbs per serving versus kale, which you have to eat an entire cup in order to make it to 7g of carbs (thank you, Calorie King)! 

As an aside, diabetes is all about carb counting and matching my insulin intake to my carbohydrate intake. It's important to know/guesstimate how many carbs are in the foods I eat.

Back to food...this recipe is super-simple and the results are very yummy. 


Baked Kale Chips

Ingredients

1 head of kale
Olive oil spray
Sea Salt
Pepper

Method
Preheat oven to 350.  
Wash and remove kale leaves from the stem.
Tear and spread on a pan.
Spray with olive oil, salt + pepper.
Bake for about 20-30min, turning every 10min, until desired crispiness is reached. You’ll see the edges will start to get brown and crispy!

Sorry for the crummy photo! I'm working on it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment